Thursday, December 05, 2002

I don't sleep, I dream

I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but what I really want is someone to do this last orgo lab report for me. Don't think that's going to happen, though. And as a matter of fact, given that it's after midnight, I'm not even going to get the coffee. Could have tea, I guess, but I'm not really in the mood.

I wrote some stuff for the 'blog during genetics lab today. Hmm. Let's see if I can locate those pieces of paper in the mess that is my room. ::Searches around for backpack, finds it, pulls out binder labelled "Chemistry," which actually contains a mishmash of genetics and Spanish notes, removes 2 crumpled pieces of paper, stops talking between double colon thingies.::

Last genetics lab today. The topic we are skimming the surface of this time is forensics [I said "foresenics" at dinner tonight-- one of those leftover phonetic confusions from when my reading vocabulary was exponentially larger than my speaking vocabulary. Ah well.] , although first we're filling out these course evaluation forms (the written kind, not the fill-in-the-bubble type). I've written a small treatise on how this class could be made more interesting. My main point seems to involve not repeating the same information over and over and over again. Definitely an LCD course. Sad.

Still, the good thing about overly generalized material that is being repeated ad infinitum is that it doesn't require me to pay particular attention here, meaning that I'm free to write as much as I'd like with only minor distraction. I'm still paying enough attention that I'll notice if anything particularly new and interesting comes up, but that doesn't look too likely.

It's cold in Atlanta today, but not cold enough. "What, you're only happy if it's bone-chilling outside?" Jake asked when I made the above statement at lunch today. Well
no, but I'd always much prefer it to be 31 degrees F outside than 35 degrees. 31 degrees has potential. You can look up at the sky and feel that desperate grade-school hope of precipitation. When it's 35 degrees, out, you just hope to god it isn't going to rain.

I know I shouldn't bother wishing for snow here in Georgia, but I can't help it. Thirteen years of Maryland public schooling have ingrained the idea that snow should be an intergral part of winter, and class cancellation doubly so. Never mind that it's a week before finals and the last thing we need is for classes to be cancelled.
[The same part of me that memorized the necessary conditions for Howard County Public School System to call a two hour delay vs. a one hour delay was desperately checking weather.com today for updated Doppler images, watching that giant white blob of precipitate converge on Virginia and then enviously imming people at Virginia Tech, where they've already got several inches.]

Ah, those fine days back in high school, skipping out of classes on one pretext or another to go check the progress of a storm. "Freezing rain and sleet just hit Gaithersburg," the word would come in. Or, "it's sticking on the grass, but the pavement's still clear. The school board has to call it by 11AM, or we're here for the rest of the day."

I stopped there in genetics to exonerate a hypothetical rape subject, and then left gleefully. Or maybe not glee. Relief? Perhaps just exhaustion. I could really use some sleep; woke up at 7AM today to write a paper entitled "El 'universo infinito de lo improbable': el lenguaje y la realidad en tres obras posmodernas." If I'm writing in English, should I punctuate a Spanish title inside or outside quotation marks? Confusion. I think I'm right, here, but then wouldn't I capitalize normally, too? Aaah. Oh well. Why am I worrying about this? Oh, right. Because I have other, more academically relevant things I should be doing. Amazing how that works.

Okay, I should get to work.

Not that I will, but that I should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home