Tuesday, December 10, 2002

A week before my first real exam, and what am I doing?

If you guessed "trying to dissolve and purify ibuprofen from an Advil tablet in my bathroom sink," you're right! Hopefully only one person guessed that, if any. Said one person would be the one who started me wondering what liquids in my dorm room an Advil would dissolve in (answer: basic solvents, like rubbing alcohol, and not acidic ones like lemon juice. Adding an adjuvant base like a Tums probably also helps.).

Yes, it's finals studying time, which means silliness all around in the pursuit of procrastination. Last night involved no reading of Spanish lecturas, but quite a lot of "Rock, Paper, Scissors." (Remember "dynamite! dynamite blows up anything!"? I didn't, until yesterday.) So it goes.

This past weekend was Trashmasters in Chattanooga. As happens with Trash, we didn't even come close to placing... the field is just far too impressive for that. I got my handful of tossups for the weekend, including the necessary Harry Potter-related question and also one on DaVinci's Notebook, given only some early clues about their relationship with the Kennedy Center. Tonight was the last academic team practice, as well, which means no more quizbowl until January 12th. I'm going to go into buzzer withdrawal, I think. Although I do have questions to write over this break, and perhaps I'll stop by my high school and play some It's Academic tapes against the CHS team.

But enough of that for now. I should sleep, and wake up, take a fencing exam, go to genetics (my last class of the semester), go to work, come back, and start some serious reviewing for orgo. Because much as I'd like my orgo final to be "purify this Advil tablet into ibuprofen crystals given only a Dasani bottle, some rubbing alcohol, a kimwipe, orange juice, and your bathroom sink," I expect it'll be a good bit more difficult than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home