I can't sleep.
Ok, so I'm not really trying that hard, but that's besides the point. Ignoring the fact that I'd probably be better able to sleep if I tried actually getting ready for bed, removing shoes, actually making head-pillow contact, that sort of thing, I really can't quite bring myself to sleep just yet, and I'm not sure why.
I've spent the past few days ignoring most other work in favor of studying for my organic chem test, which was at 6PM today and is now over. (Thank god.) Kind of worried about that, after comparing notes on at least one problem with someone else, but at least I got the extra credit correct, which required me to identify a picture of FDR and his dog, Falah (both names required). I wish I were a better chemistry student, I really do. Especially now that my professor specifically learned my name this evening. Sigh. With few exceptions, I'd prefer my toils through orgo to be as short, painless, and anonymous as possible.
Anyhow, that's done for now. I have other work to be doing, of course, which I'm ignoring at the moment in favor of the temporarily postponed sleep. Some modelling problems, as always, and then this really neat (in my opinion) idea of how to get ions across a cell membrane without using a membrane-spanning protein that would involve jury-rigging a cell-built, self-assembling protein coat with a whole bunch of conformational active sites on the inside. I need to sketch that out tomorrow and post it up on the conference before someone beats me to it, or before the time expires on the question and we move on to something else. My human physiology honors class is pretty cool, as classes go. I learned more about muscles today than I knew from the rest of my entire time as a biology student, including theories that aren't even published outside of journals yet. That's one of the definite problems of being a bio student, really, knowing that much of what you're learning is incomplete, subject to change, or out of date compared with the current literature. You don't often get that in other disciplines, or at least not to such a degree.
Hm. Other news. We won trivia at Park Bench tonight, and I avoided being cited for alcohol violations when the police shut down the pub's (can Park Bench count as a pub? I have trouble referring to it as a bar) alcohol distribution for the night. That was annoying, though, because I was counting on at least some elevated BAC after two days of studying. But not to be.
Hmm. Okay, now I'm going to bed. Have to get sleep while I can, since Saturday is NAQT sectionals, and we'll no doubt be leaving at 7-something. My team is going to get clobbered, too, since we're playing Division I for the first time ever against the likes of Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and our own beloved A-team.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home