Monday, April 28, 2003

And Then It Was Sunday Night

And it was late, and I was sneezing as I was typing this, because my allergies have been balking at the Georgia air, which coats the cars in yellow pollen that you can write in with your fingertip. And my heading had stuck me in an awkward tense for a web journal, meaning that it was almost time to create an abrupt shift to the present.

So I'm writing, mainly just because it's Sunday night and that's what I'm supposed to do, if I'm not going to bed. Never mind that other options include the very viable emailing Jim about moving stuff back into his apartment for the summer, finally buying a plane ticket for going home in two weeks, figuring out why the OPUS system won't let me add a class to my schedule, or reading the necessary material for tomorrow, the last day of Spanish (and every other class). No, instead I'm writing a blog entry. As you can see.

Rumor has it that blog entries are known to discuss recent events of note. As such, I might mention that yesterday the Emory quizbowl teams finished first in Division I and second in Division II (as predicted, my team lost to Valencia CC A in the finals). Both final games were close matches, with the A-team winning on the last question, and the B team losing on the second-to-last question. Unfortunately, all that hard work won us only a trophy... no cases of Moonpies this year, and the only ones I caught were all banana-flavored. Bah.

Still, a good day. Jake earned himself a high-scoring award to finish out his college quizbowl career, my team and I got to enjoy one last romp through the Division II brackets (named Thomas á Bracket and Samuel Bracket — Charlie was in rare form), and I managed to evade all creepy quizbowlers. Though I was rather confused at first . . . all these people who I didn't remember ever having had a conversation with, even in passing, seemed to know my name and want to talk to me. Steve and Jake nicely pointed out that this probably had something to do with my gender. Point taken. Tournaments can be a bit of an ego boost that way... luckily, the large number of DivII players meant that it was a much nicer looking field of guys overall. Which is always a good thing, even if I'm not really interested in them at present.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home