Tuesday, May 13, 2003

From Earlier Today (~11AM):

Well, I Missed My Flight

So now I'm sitting here Hartsfield next to a conveniently located outlet in the terminal, waiting for the flight I'm on stand-by for to begin checking in. Honestly, with all the times I've cut the trip to Hartsfield really close and just barely made it, I suppose this had to happen sometime. But today was both not my fault, and also really bad timing.

I've stayed up most of the night for two days in a row now, which I don't regret, but which hasn't exactly helped anything. Monday morning (early) was Jake's graduation, and since he had to be up at 6:15 anyway, sleeping just didn't make much sense. Nice day for a graduation, but a very long event. I spent most of it flipping through the program with Will, reading about the history of medieval university garb and looking for odd names among the graduates. Then there was more packing and moving to be done, lunch, some last-minute room cleaning and CD burning. People riding in my car beware: I now have copies of Jake's two disc set of musical hell and a CD of anime music. And I will be playing them.

And after that, exhausted from our all-nighter and needing to get up early to check out the next morning, there was little left to say. We'd already talked about most everything, it seemed like—I wasn't being hit by the sudden shock of it, really, it was just the same thing, that'd been eating at me for the last week or two, only moreso. And there's not much to be done about that. What remained to be resolved, then, was the silly stuff:

"Did the box of Earl Grey get packed?" Jake asked.
"I guess so? We didn't throw anything like that away."
"Oh," he said, somewhat regretfully.
"Why?" I questioned, watching a smug smile spread across his face.
"Know what was in that box?" he teased, grinning at me. It took me but a second.
"Nooooooo! Not the twistie piece of metal*!"
"I was going to give it to you."
Sigh.

I didn't get him to tell me what Bru 5 is (maybe it's Jackie Chan), but apparently I would've found out what it was earlier had I watched the Azumanga CDs he burned me a few days ago. Fair enough. I'll add it to the list of stuff to watch once... if... I ever get home.

(*Note: The twistie piece of metal, as it has come to be called, is a small fragment of paper clip or other metal in the shape of a perfect corkscrew, and has oft been a point of mock-contention between Jake and me over the past year. It disappeared for a couple months this winter, and then I found it again, whereupon Jake removed it to an undisclosed location in his dorm room. Leading me to drop comments like "Why, it's been quite a while since I last saw the twistie piece of metal, hasn't it? *Sniff* Ah, the memories. We had good times, the twistie piece and I did.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home