Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Just Three More Days

The weird thing about work is that I am forever running into people that I recognize from some point in my childhood, but whose names are now lost to me. Back two years ago, I prided myself on remembering the name of every teacher I'd ever had, from a three times a week Enrichment & Talented elementary school teacher right up through high school. Which was a good thing, because it broke up the tedium of filing a bit, knowing that many people. But now, I run into the guidance counselor who used to do M-Z at Burleigh Manor, and I haven't a clue what his name might be.

Guy: Hey!
Laura: [Dawning recognition.] Oh, hey . . .
Guy: How are you? What are you doing, working here this summer?
Laura: Yeah, yeah I am. I'm in HR now through August.
Guy: Oh, that's great. What are you doing?
Laura: Mostly filling in for Peggy Curtis while she's out for surgery, doing all the vacancy stuff . . .
Guy: Wow. You've got some big shoes to fill, there. So what year are you in now?
Laura: I'll be a junior next year, at Emory. [A moment's pause to consider which state I'm in, and whether he'll recognize the name.] In Atlanta.
Guy: Oh, that's fantastic. Man. Has it really been that long? Am I that old?
Laura: [Tactfully decides to not answer this question.]
Guy: Wow. It feels like just yesterday, doesn't it?
Laura: Well, I'm happy to say that for me, middle school doesn't feel like just yesterday . . . and thank God for that.
Guy: [Gets funny look on his face, as though he might have missed some crucial crisis in my life back in the day.] Oh. Well. Nice seeing you!
Laura: [Cheerfully.] Take care.


So, anyone remember his name? Dan? Someone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home