Luncheon Blogging
I come home for lunch every day, even though there's a cafeteria/sandwich shop at work. It's too cold in there to eat, as far as I'm concerned, and there's also the matter of not wanting to run into any of my co-workers during my lunch hour. So instead I'm back here flipping through the Post and eating a balanced lunch of orange juice, applesauce, two chicken nuggets, and a mini-pizza bagel. The dog, of course, is thrilled about all this. He's panting and making little whimpering sounds like this is the last chicken nugget on the planet. And now that I'm looking at him, he sits up and moves closer, resting his chin on my knee and moving his ears to über-cute mode. But to no avail. "The last chicken nugget is mine, all mine!" I pronouce, taking a bit out of it, and his nose twitches as he switches quickly to pathetic-mode. All gone. Whine, whine. Oh, all right. Here: have the mostly empty applesauce container, and let me read my paper in peace.
Compromise reached. As Jacques begins mangling the applesauce cup, I spot this item in the Washington Post music section. Apparently, Thom Yorke commented a few months ago that Radiohead's new album (which I still need to go buy), would be terrific music for, well, getting in the mood. Now, much as I love Radiohead, I've listened to most of the songs on the album already, and I have to side with the Post critic here.
If any guys out there plan to test [Yorke's] theory, here is the personal ad you'll need to run:
SWM seeks open-minded SWF. You: turned on by songs about paranoia, gloom, death. Ready to hum lyrics like "We're rotting fruit / We're damaged goods." Me: same.
I mean, without listening carefully the lyrics, maybe. But at that rate, why not just ignore all the emotional content of "Street Spirit"? I hear Yorke just loves it when everyone sings along all cheerfully with that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home