The Building Where I Work Has Periodic Art Exihibits In The Main Hallway
which are usually fairly neat to look at. This past month it was the county-wide after school GT art program's work (I never applied, myself — who wants more assigned paintings?), which featured some cool figure drawings as well as a Miyazaki-themed skateboard. Now that it's the end of the month, they've been moving the new installation in, which is an exhibit of work by various art teachers throughout the county. Really some neat stuff there (none of it by any art teacher I ever had, sadly), though some of it much more talented than others.
I've been having some fun with one of the less-talented pieces, though. There's an interactive sculpture that went up the end of last week that is essentially a 3'x3' board with a bunch of wooden dowels stuck in it, and then a stack of wooden circles with holes in the middle, most of them painted white on one side and black on the other. Just for fun, I suppose, the artist decided to paint two or three of them with white and black stripes, but those are of little importance to me. There's a sign in loopy handwriting that says "play with me!", suggesting that the viewer should arrange the circles on the pegs on the board in an order pleasing to her.
What the artist probably didn't realize was that all she'd created, in my mind, was a giant 9x9 Go board. So I've been passing through the hallway several times a day, putting a piece on and taking off the pieces that piece puts in atari. On my way out today I finished a whole game, left the pieces I'd removed nicely stacked on the shelf. Maybe tomorrow I'll clear off the board entirely except for a four stone handicap in black, stick a white piece up, and see if anyone catches on.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home