Got Another Four Free In-Flight Drink Coupons From Airtran Today
This now brings my total up to twelve. Seeing as they don't expire until December of 2004, I suppose I could conceivably wait until I'm actually 21 to use these things. In which case, if they continue sending them at the present rate (these twelve have all come since the start of summer), I might have enough to get myself and anyone sitting nearby very, very drunk. But for now, I'm just stashing them in my carryon bag. No flying for me, this August... it's the fourteen hour drive again. Woo!
Almost nearing the turning point of the summer, here. This summer's arbitrary turning point falls on or about July 26th, when Jake heads off to Japan and I have to find other things to do late at night besides talking to him. Like writing high school tournament questions, or finishing Final Fantasy 6. Or maybe sleeping. Now there's a novel idea.
I'm tired, as usual. Work was long today . . . I have too much stuff piling up, enough that I could work overtime this week, if I wanted to. This morning I got a letter from my sixth grade math teacher about a mistake in his salary. Sent him an email back assuring that the change would be made, and that honest to god, I wasn't the person who couldn't calculate a $200 increase in team leader pay. Then back to confused emails in my inbox, confused principals on the phone, and confused hiring managers in my office. To top it all off, one of my least favorite people in the office asked me if I would be staying on past the summer. Hell no, I almost said, but settled for "No, actually I'm a junior at Emory University. A biology major." "Oh," she said, disappointed. "That's too bad. You're the only person who seems to understand any of this stuff."
Torn between giggling helplessly and beating my head on the desk, I settled for closing up shop early and driving around aimlessly in rush hour traffic for a little while, unwilling to make my way home quite yet. Parked up the road from Tim's site, then stayed for a little while, pacing up there on the hill, always further up than you'd think a flipped car could go, talking to the tree and throwing rocks at the other side of the road. Reminded the tree that I don't so much believe in spirits, or afterlife, or the essence of a young and brilliant programmer's being lurking around in new websites or old code. Acknowledged the fact that really, I was probably just using the tree as a way to justify my being in a mood, wondering about Tim as I sometimes do, and wanting to think out loud without the worrying about anyone else's opinion. Pointed out to my arboreal companion that this was silly, selfish, or possibly both. Thankfully, it didn't seem offended.
I'm hopeful that the imminent major change in my everyday communication will bring more regular and interesting blog entries.
Either that or I could make conversing with inanimate objects a regular habit.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home