Thursday, August 28, 2003

From The Back of My Newly Purchased Cell Bio Textbook:

"This edition for sale in India, Bangladesk, Nepal and Sri Lanka only. The Publisher will prosecute any violation in cases of any sales/distribution in territories other than those listed above."

Hmmm. So, do you think I should go point this out to the Emory bookstore, and see if they'll pay me not to email these folks in New Delhi? I'd certainly like to recoup some of the $375 I've spent on four classes worth of books. Only managed to find one set of texts on Learnlink, and I struck out entirely at Book Nook, which put me back in the bookstore.

God, how I resent handing over my money to them. I understand that academic textbooks are necessarily expensive because of the smaller audience, but it's the way they gouge us on used books that gets to me. Well, that and the inflated prices of other non-textbook items. They actually had a two page (front & back) laminated sheet, in color, of physics formulas that I'm supposed to buy. The cost of me making such a thing at Kinkos, if the professor put it up as a PDF file, would be about three dollars, at most. The bookstore's price? Twenty-five. Or four dollars less if I wanted to buy a used sheet of laminate . . . *snicker*. And the worst thing is, the freshmen don't know any better and buy these sorts of things, fueling the market that perpetuates the bookstore monopoly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home