Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Okay, My Blog Rarely Gets Political

But I've got an honest question. Iraq. The War Powers Act of 1973. How come we haven't heard about the two together? I mean, I know the US isn't going to go fight an honest to god, congressionally-declared war anytime in the foreseeable future, but what about the mandatory 60 day reports to Congress? No matter what the Iraq "Action" falls under (and I did some checking... it's technically under the congressionally-passed "Authorization for Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002," which crossed the Senate floor right before November elections), Bush should still be submitting regular reports to Congress, each of which needs to be met with either a resolution to extend the stay of troops, or a formal declaration of war. Now, the 2002 Iraq Resolution makes specific mention of the Iraq campaign as falling under the War Powers Act, so why haven't I seen a single mention in the press of reports to Congress? Did the administration dodge it by declaring formal hostilities over, or what?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home