Friday, February 27, 2004

Patriotic Americans Know That God Does Not Obey The Laws Of Physics: A Dream

I was in University with some other people, a small group of friends in a big physics lecture. (It felt kind of British, what with the "in University", and all.) The class took place in a giant hall that seemed to be set in the top of a rotunda dome, with an intricate painted ceiling, vaguely rococco style.

It was a physics lecture, and the professor was handing back tests. In the nature of all physics lecturers, he was evil. Specifically, I and my friends had gotten B minuses and Cs because of a question to which we had put 6 and 5/12ths as the answer. He refused to give us credit for this, even though it was mathematically correct, because the question -- one in a series asking about sound waves and second harmonics -- was a hypothetical question that involved God producing the sound waves. Even though the location and frequency of the sound waves, no matter what their origin, had been set throughout the question, the fact that he had tacked on this cutesy omnipotent thing meant that the correct answer, as far as our professor was concerned, was any variation on "undefined."

He singled my companions and me out specifically for public derision as the class reviewed the test, and so we challenged him on it, which was a very bad idea. For some reason these kids were also in Japanese with me, and pretty much the only other areligious people in this giant lecture hall. He apparently knew this, and was mocking us in general, in a blatant manner that reminded us that we were entirely powerless in this situation. Oddly, he also knew some Japanese, but was taunting us for having an interest in other countries. Despite the British boarding school feel, I somehow knew that the setting was still supposed to be America.

Anyhow. When we realized we'd lost entirely, we did something stupid, which was to actually try to provoke him. We started asking our question partly in Japanese, since he'd gone ahead and labelled us as un-American foreign-o-philes to the rest of the lecture hall. Barely into our question, he cut us off, and I was still so in shock that as he started to continue the rest of the lecture I interrupted him again with "but sir...," rather loudly, realizing as I hearded it that I had done something very, very foolish.

We got kept after class and made to sit quiet and while the professor insulted us for half an hour. After the tirade and threats to fail us, we were made to watch what appeared to be a 7 hour long, very boring silent film on the Dust Bowl, which was shown for us in a run-down old barn to which our professor had access. He stuck around for an hour, and then said he'd be back later. The whole situation was very menacing. I was scared to leave the room, but there was a water fountain outside, and I was really thirsty. Also, outside the room were two miniature cows. One was pregnant, and as I took my drink of water, this mini-cow gave birth in a particularly un-messy fashion to the most adorable fuzzy cowlet ever. It was about the size of a kitten, I think, and tottered around making squeaky little mooing sounds. I called the other students over and was trying to take a picture of it for the blog, but my had was shaking too much because I was really afraid that the evil physics guy would come back and yell at us for playing with his minature cows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home