Sunday, April 18, 2004

Update of Sorts

Oof. I am stuffed with strawberries right now; my lips are probably still stained a little red. I went to the grocery store earlier, out of food and in need of dinner, and the strawberries just looked so good... yum. My stomach may be a little unnerved at what to do with fresh produce. It hasn't really encountered much of late.

Certainly not yesterday, when I went out with some of the folks from science and society to Maggiano's, and then to see Kill Bill II (scrapped subtitle: The Revenge of the Revenge). Not great Italian, but it serves the purpose, where said purpose is "trendy setting with consistent food that we'll continue refilling platters of until you can eat no more." There were about twelve of us there, science and orchestra dorks, for the most part. I felt social for once, and got to talk to a few people I hadn't seen in a while. Avi, for one, who tested my ability to refrain from giggling helplessly with the question "so, have you kept up with Jake at all this year?" Hee.

Vast quantities of cheese-based foods consumed, we set off for the theaters. In retrospect, the decision to go see the second of a set of films noted for their shocking violence and gore on bloated stomachs might not have been the wisest plan, but I at least suffered little side effects. My reactions tend more towards the shock, and less of the nausea, and we had a few minutes of previews even after getting there late. Saw the preview for Hero, which looks loss-for-words awesome. Saw the preview for Van Helsing, which sadly does not. ("But it has Hugh Jackman with long hair!" you say. Yes, I know. But the man needs to be working his way down from Wolverine-level hairyness, and this ain't helping.) As for Kill Bill, I'm unsure which I like better, the first or the second, but with the whole division of the films into chapters, referring to the two movies as separate entities seems a bit artificial. I have great respect for Tarantino, though I have to agree with Lileks that last week's Entertainment Weekly advertising "his favorite make-out soundtrack" is a bit... no, more than a bit repulsive.

Anyhow. I should be studying for finals now, I guess, but instead I'm moping some. I've been in this mood on and off for a while now, and hesitant to blog anything substantial because of it. I wish I weren't so lonely all the time, but it's problematic when what I really want is company without being social. *Shrug.* But there you have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home