Cider Reviews Written While Drinking Cider, Part II*
Two Ciders Worth Trying, At Least Once
With a BYOB party for my 25% British biochem laboratory tomorrow, I decided I'd purchase some English hard ciders to share. (And of course sample my acquisitions beforehand.) I found both of these ciders interesting, but lacking in that essential, hearty pub-meets-cider-press feel. Still, if you have the chance, these are each drinkable ciders that you might well take a liking to.
Woodpecker English Cider: I'm torn on this cider. At the start, it feels very drinkable, if a little weak; a decent summer drink, with the right balance of carbonation and hardly any alcohol bite to it. In fact, with 4.2% alcohol by volume, it's not any harder than the average American beer - I'd call it a light cider, if the category exists. The apple flavor rings true, and isn't overly cloying, but it is sweeter than I'd usually prefer in a cider. Still, for what it is, it's pleasant, and has a definite appeal. But I wouldn't want to go drinking several at a time... it would be like binging on apple juice with a surprisingly dehydrating effect on the palate. (American bottled, 12 fl. oz., 4.2% ABV.)
Strongbow Cider: Another British-by-origin cider, my first reaction to this brand was at its color - it's a clear yellowish hue that you could mistake for a bottle of Miller Lite or something. Unlike Woodpecker, Strongbow is still actually produced in England and exported to the US, and bears the title "by appointment to H.M. the Queen" on the back of the label. The tangy dryness along with the bubbling almost reminded me of a champagne more than a cider, though with no bitterness to it. All in all, distinct from anything else I've tried, and I'd have one again if offered, but this is not a hearty cider. A definite emphasis on tart, tangy dryness over any serious apple flavor, and a hint of metallic aftertaste. Again, I'd buy Woodchuck or Hardcore over Strongbow, but this import is definitely worth trying once - although it's not my favorite, I could understand why some people would enjoy this a lot. (5.0% ABV, 11.2 fl. oz.)
_______________________________________________________
*All reviews are based on bottles bought in America unless otherwise noted.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home