Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I am a Happy Science Dork

This lab thing is working out quite well, I must say. I come in at 9:30 or 10AM, grab some coffee, play with mutant yeast for a few hours, have lunch, do some more stuff with the yeast, and then Laura #1, my grad student, usually feels bad about having me wait around another two hours just to do another five minutes of work, and so sends me home.

I'm really picking up a lot of stuff, but unlike in my last lab, I'm not doing two dozen different things at once while also trying to wash glassware, so I'm actually able to absorb why we're doing this or that to a set of cells. (Which means my lab notebook is actually comprehensible, for once.) Plus, with this 30-35 hour work week instead of the 40 I thought I'd be doing, I'm actually getting $8 or $9 an hour instead of just barely hitting minimum wage.

All that, and they're taking me to a baseball game on Thursday afternoon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home