Thursday, July 21, 2005

Baby Kakapos!

The kakapo is a bird out of time. If you look one in its large, round, greeny-brown face, it has a look of serenely innocent incomprehension that makes you want to hug it and tell it that everything will be all right, though you know that it probably will not be.
- Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Every so often, I check up on how New Zealand's most adorable endangered parrot is doing. Given that last time I'd looked, there were only 62 of them left, I'd more or less resigned myself to their slow decline. So, it was to much surprise that I noticed this morning that the kakapo count is up to 80-something as of the spring breeding season. Nifty!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gareth said...

Actual figure stands at 87. The Kakapo is one of the creatures we follow at my endangered animals blog Another Chance To See. Hope you'll drop by...

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home